Warm Orzo Salad with Chicken
The Food Nanny
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
¾ cup Orzo pasta cooked
- 1 boneless/skinless chicken breast chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons shallot or red onion chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 grape tomatoes cut in half lengthwise
- ¼ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- ½ cup Pine nuts or toasted almonds optional
- 1½ cups baby arugula
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Set aside.
Cook the Orzo according to package directions. Drain. Keep warm. Set aside.
Wipe off the chicken with a wet paper towel. Chop. Sauté the chopped chicken in the olive oil and butter until cooked through about 4 min. Keep warm. Set aside.
In a medium size bowl add: cooked orzo, onion, dill, parsley, tomatoes, cheese, and nuts if using. Mix in the warm chicken and arugula. Toss with the dressing and serve immediately.
Variations: Instead of chicken, use ½ lb. raw shrimp, cleaned, tails removed, diced. Place diced shrimp on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and fresh lemon juice. Sprinkle with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper. Bake at 350°on the middle oven rack for 5 to 6 min. Add (optional) dried cherries or cranberries.