The Food Nanny
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ green bell pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 medium fresh tomato diced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn frozen or canned, drained
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Fleur de Sel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 11/4 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Sour Cream for garnish
- 1 cup instant Corn Masa Mix for Tamales
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Fleur de Sel
- 5 Tablespoons Butter melted
Tamale Cornmeal Topping:
- In a medium size pan over medium heat, brown the ground beef. Add the onions, garlic and green pepper if using, stir and cook until soft.
Add the tomato sauce, fresh tomato, corn, black olives, chili powder, cumin and salt. Add 1 1/4 cups beef broth. Stir. Turn the heat down to low and simmer about 5 - 10 min. Add in the cheese and stir until melted.
Pour into a buttered 8x8 in. baking dish.
Prepare the topping:
- Stir together the instant Corn Masa, chicken broth, baking powder, salt, and melted butter.
- Spread evenly on top of casserole. Bake uncovered at 350 about 30 minutes.
- Pass the sour cream.
Serve with: Chips and salsa or Guacamole. Fruit Salsas and Chips page 129, Homemade Flour Tortillas page 121.
Variations: May double the recipe. The topping makes this casserole for me! This meal is easy and is a nice change from regular Mexican food. This one is yummy!! Double the recipe and serve it to company with my Pinã Coladas.