Who doesn’t love a hot Peach Cobbler with ice cream?
This recipe comes from my longtime neighbor Sid, who always has something wonderful for me to try. Celebrating life through food is her way of spreading happiness. This recipe is one of her delicate surprises. The “surprise” is the way the dough starts on the bottom and then travels to the top during baking to form a cake-like “crust.” I’m sure you will enjoy this recipe as much as we do!! XOXOXO
Surprise Peach Cobbler
The Food Nanny
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter, cut up
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 1/2 cups fresh or canned fruit drained
- 3/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Ice cream or whipped cream optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a square baking pan in the oven. Remove the pan from the oven.
- Stir the flour, granulated sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir in the milk. Gently pour the mixture into the melted butter in the baking pan. Do not stir.
- Place fruit of your choice evenly over the batter, top with the brown sugar, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake until the cobbler is well-browned and the fruit is cooked (if using raw fruit). The baking time will vary depending on the fruit. Start checking for doneness at 40 minutes.
Serve right out of the oven, plain or with ice cream or whipped cream, or my favorite way- with milk poured over it.