Ann, my editor makes these delicious sandwiches all the time. I like to order them when they are on the menu in a restaurant.
If you haven’t tried a Monte Cristo you are in for a treat! These are fun to serve company as well.
Monte Cristo Sandwiches For Dinner
The Food Nanny
¾ cup Pancake Dry Mix (see below)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk or water
- 4 slices whole grain or white bread
- 2-4 slices mild or sharp cheddar garlic cheddar, or pepper jack cheese
- 4-6 slices deli ham turkey or chicken, your choice
- Mayonnaise and mustard optional, to taste
- Powdered sugar
- Raspberry jam
- ⅔ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Pancakes – Dry Mix:
Mix ingredients in a 9 inch pie pan. It will be thinner than it would be for pancakes.Mix ingredients in a 9 inch pie pan. It will be thinner than it would be for pancakes.
- Prepare the sandwich by lightly spreading mayonnaise and mustard on both inside pieces of bread.
- Place 1 slice of cheese, (2, if the slices are very thin) and 2-3 slices of meat on each sandwich. Place the second piece of bread on top, mayo inside.
- Preheat a 10-12 inch frying pan on medium high. Add 1 Tablespoon canola oil.
Carefully take each whole sandwich and place it in the prepared batter. Turn the sandwiches over and make sure the sides are also dipped in the batter. Place in the heated frying pan. (This part is messy!) Watch the sandwiches carefully so as not to burn, but check inside to see that the cheese is melting and the batter is cooking. With a large spatula, turn the sandwich over to brown the other side.
- Remove finished sandwich to individual plate. Sprinkle top with powdered sugar. Add 2 Tablespoons raspberry jam on top of the powdered sugar. Serve immediately. Eat with a knife and fork.
Pancake Dry Mix:
Mix flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Remove ¾ cup mix to make the batter for the sandwiches. Store the remaining mix in an airtight container.
Serve with: Bacon or breakfast sausage. Fruit in season – strawberries, raspberries, grapefruit, orange slices. Tip: This sandwich is messy transferring to the frying pan - but it’s worth it!!