Wheat! Nothing like homemade bread made with fresh wheat! Thousands of acres that go on and on.. This bread takes me right back to my Swiss- German ancestry. All my life I have been intrigued with Brown Bread. It is the molasses and the chocolate that does the trick. For any of my Cheesecake Factory fans this bread tastes a lot like their brown bread!
German Brown Bread
The Food Nanny
- 3/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons clover honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pour the water in a small bowl. Add the yeast and sugar. Stir. Let bloom- about 10 minutes. In a medium size bowl add the honey, molasses, cocoa, flours, salt and oil. Add the yeast mixture and stir together. Turn the dough out onto a counter and form into a ball. If it is too sticky add just a bit of flour.
- Put a few drops of olive oil into a small bowl, spread it around and place the dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Let dough rise until double, about 1 hour. Form the dough into a loaf. Spray the bread pan generously with cooking oil. Place dough in the greased pan.
- Let rise until double, 30 to 45 min. and bake at 350 degrees 25 to 30 minutes. Check the bread by dumping it out just barley and tapping the underneath to see if it sounds hollow. Do not over bake. Cool on a cooling rack.
- Serve with: This bread if good for eating with something hearty on a cold winter day! It is delicious.