Today we are getting ready for Father’s Day. I’m so happy the sun is out and we can BBQ!!! My husband has been enjoying my potato salad for YEARS. It might be his FAVORITE recipe in my book. If your looking for a classic potato salad this year this is a great and easy one to try! We will be sharing the chicken and Pepe salad this week as well.. XOXO
Classic American Potato Salad
The Food Nanny
- 5 medium russet potato
- 6 eggs
- 2 celery ribs finely chopped
- 1 small sweet pickle finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion optional
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sweet pickle juice
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
Scrub the potatoes and put them in a large pot with water to cover. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Remove the lid and decrease the heat, keeping the water boiling. Cook about 30 minutes or until the potatoes fall apart when pricked with a fork. Drain and let stand until the potatoes are cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, place the eggs in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Decrease the heat to just below simmering, cover, and cook 15 minutes. Immediately drain the eggs and run cold water over them to stop cooking. Add ice cubes to cool the eggs quickly.
- Peel potatoes and dice them into a large bowl. Peel and chop the eggs and add to the potatoes. Add the celery, pickle, and onion, if using.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, pickle juice, and vinegar. Spoon into the potato mixture and combine. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste. Lightly sprinkle on the paprika. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.