I have tried just about every carrot cake recipe. This is my favorite by far and now I am famous for this cake. No pineapple, no nuts inside this cake. It is so moist it will melt in your mouth. You need only a small slice because it is so rich!
For our new friend, Lauren.
The Food Nanny
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups peeled and grated carrots 4-5 large carrots
- 1 cup coconut
- 3 cups powered sugar
- 1 8oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
ALMOND-SCENTED CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease two 9in. round cake pans. Cut two 9in diameter circles out of parchment paper or wax paper and place in the bottom of each pan. Spray again with flour. Shake out the excess.
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the sugar, oil, and eggs on low speed until well blended. Mix in all the dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in the carrots and coconut. The batter will be thick. Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans. Bake 35-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen the layers around the edges with a knife. Carefully invert each layer by placing another rack directly over the layer and turning all upside down. Tap on the pan to loosen the layer. Carefully peel off the paper. Cool completely on the racks. Meanwhile, make the frosting.
- To frost the cake, place one layer topside down on a cake plate. Spread with half of the frosting. REPEAT. Sprinkle with coconut and walnuts, if desired.
Almond-Scented Cream Cheese Frosting
1. Sift the powered sugar into a small bowl of an electric mixer. Add the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and almond.
2. Beat until well-blended and smooth enough to spread. Avoid overbeating.