Here’s my rendition of a Quinoa salad. It is really great! This is super heathy and delicious! This could be a great side dish to a grilled piece of chicken.
In The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner Again page 263
Warm Quinoa Salad With Cashews
1 as a Main Dish
The Food Nanny
- 1/2 cup Red Quinoa cooked
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup red onion minced
1 clove garlic, minced
- Coarse salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 Sun-dried tomato halves minced
- 3 Tablespoons dried currents (buy a small quantity at a quality food store) or golden raisins
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews
- 1 cup baby arugula
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- Rinse quinoa. In a small saucepan add 1 cup water and quinoa. Bring to a boil over medium heat and boil until water is gone, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium size saucepan over low heat, add olive oil and butter. Add onions and garlic and caramelize for 10 minutes. Season with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add sun-dried tomatoes, currents or raisins and cashews. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the arugula. Sauté for 1 minute. Add cooked quinoa. Mix. Remove from stove.
- Mix the balsamic vinegar and honey. Pour over the quinoa mixture. Warm through for 30 seconds. on low heat. Serve
Serve with: Warm French Baguettes page 242 or Beer Bread page 247.