This is one of our very favorite dishes to make on Italian night in summer time. It is so light and delicious! It is also pretty amazing that this is a one pot meal that won’t heat up your entire kitchen!
Our favorite thing to serve our summer veggies, sausage, and pasta with is bruschetta with roasted garlic. Its the perfect meal!
One of the best things about this dish is you can switch it up in a thousand ways and make it your own. Feel free to use hamburger instead of sausage. For the fresh veggies, use what you have on hand or what you have growing in your garden.
Don’t be afraid of the Swiss Chard! It adds such delicious flavor! But you can use spinach instead.
This dish is more veggies than pasta, making it fresh and light! The flavors come together to make a wonderful meal. Once your pasta and veggies are cooked, top with Parmesan cheese, finishing salt, and pepper. So delectable!
Summer Veggies, Italian Sausage, and Pasta
The Food Nanny
- 1 cup Your favorite pasta of choice- rotini, fussilli, butterfly, penne, or angel hair
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced thinly
- 1/4 each red, yellow, and green pepper sliced into thin stripes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 6-inch yellow and/or green zucchini thingly sliced
- 10 pods snow peas strings removed
- 3 large heirloom tomatoes skin on, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 lb Italian bulk sausage broken into small chunks
- 6 large stalks of Swiss Chard chopped, including stems
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese grated
- Fresh basil or fresh oregano
If not using previously cooked pasta, boil the pasta in 3 quarts water until tender. Drain
To a large 10-12 inch fry pan over medium high heat, add oil. Heat until hot. Add onion, peppers, and garlic. Turn heat down to medium. Stir frequently until peppers are soft. Keep garlic from burning.
Add zucchini, peas, tomatoes, and sausage. Stir frequently until tomatoes are soft and sausage is cooked. Add drained pasta. Stir together.
Add chard and stir until it is wilted. Serve immediately in large, flat bowls or plates. Sprinkle with cheese and fresh herbs.