Wednesday Breakfast for Dinner
Who doesn’t like French toast?! It’s a comfort food. I remember the times when we were coming home from a late-night game and fixed French toast. We would even stop for it occasionally at the local diner. French toast made right is so good and goes down so easy! But you can’t just throw eggs and milk together and expect it to be good. I have been perfecting it for years and have come up with this winning combination.
Classic French Toast
The Food Nanny
- 8 (3/4-inch-thick) slices firm white bread
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle to medium.
Trim the crusts off the bread and set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg if desired. Pour into a shallow dish suitable for dipping.
4. Combine the oil and butter in a small bowl. Spread 2 teaspoons of this mixture over the surface of the skillet. Dip one slice of bread into the eggmixture, turning to coat evenly, and carefully place it in the skillet. Fry untilthe bread is light brown on both sides. Spread additional oil/butter mixtureas needed and continue with the remaining slices.
5. Serve the slices as you fry them, or transfer to a platter and keep warm in a 175-degree oven until all slices are ready to serve. Serve with butter, syrup,and jam as desired.