We always try to have a well stocked refrigerator! When we have fresh foods available, it is so much easier to provide our families with yummy, nutritious dinners. Here are some of our tips on what to keep in your refrigerator!
What you will always find in our refrigerator:
- Cheese: Parmesan, Cheddar, Swiss, Manchego, and Gruyere are some of our favorites.
- Cranberry Freezer Jam: Perfect to pair with cheese on sandwiches.
- Trader Joes Dijon Mustard
- Sour Dough Starter
- Better than Bullion
- Greek Yogurt
- Heavy Cream
- Sour Cream
Storing Fruits and Vegetables
We love to keep a variety of fresh produce in our home! Sometimes it is hard to know where we should be storing our different fruits and vegetables. Some need to be in the fridge for freshness, while others are meant to be served at room temperature. Here is a guide to where we like to store our fruits and veggies! Items marked with a star are things we always try to have, regardless of what we are cooking that week.
Fresh produce for the Refrigerator:
- *Greens: Spinach, Romaine, or arugula.
- Bell Peppers
Fresh produce outside of the refrigerator:
- Fresh Garlic
Tips and Tricks:
Do you ever feel like your produce goes bad way too fast? Sometimes you get a bad batch, but here are some tips that help us make our produce last as long as possible.
- Never just toss your veggies in the vegetable drawer all together. Vegetables need to be in separate containers or baggies. When they touch each other they go bad much faster. Keep them separate, clean, and fresh.
- Never refrigerate tomatoes! They will lose their flavor and take on the taste of whatever is in the fridge with them. Tomatoes are meant to be enjoyed at room temperature!
- Avocados are great because they can be stored in or out of the fridge! If you want them to last longer, keep them in a bag in the refrigerator. Take one out and let it ripen just before using it.
- Apples are another fruit that will take on the refrigerator taste if stored there. Make sure to keep and enjoy your apples at room temperature!
- Lemons and Limes are perfect stored in your refrigerator. They are a luxury, but upgrade the taste of so many different dishes!
Make sure and stock up on some of these essentials on your next trip to the store! Having a well stocked refrigerator makes getting dinner together so much easier. And remember, KEEP COOKING, YOUR FAMILY IS WORTH IT!
The Food Nannies!