THREE-CHEESE CHICKEN QUESADILLAS
Who doesn't love a Quesadilla??!! When our family thinks of quesadillas, we think of Duke's Waikiki. It's right on the beach and it serves the best grilled chicken quesadillas. We order the quesadillas for lunch and take them out to the beach with us. This is an easy version that your kids can learn to make even when they're really young. I love to saute the chicken in olive oil with coarse salt and pepper, the chicken then has a ton of flavor!! Also try using wheat flour tortillas in place of the standard white version. XOXO
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 taco-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced lengthwise
- Sour cream
- Salsa (see Fresh Salsa, p. 125)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- Grill or saute the chicken and cut it into strips. Lay out the tortillas and scoop 1/2 cup of chicken on one half of each tortilla.
- Combine the cheeses and sprinkle 1/3 cup over the chicken on each tortilla. Fold each totrilla in half, secure it with a toothpick, place on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 6 to 10 minutes. Carefully turn the quesadillas and bake until barley brown, about 5 minutes. Discard the toothpicks.
- Cut each quesadilla into three wedges and serve with the lettuce, avocado, sour cream, and salsa.
- Variation: To fry the quesadillas, melt a little butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place one tortilla flat in the pan. Spread the chicken and cheeses evenly over the tortilla; place another tortilla on top. When the cheeses melt, turn the quesadilla once or twice until it is light brown. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa and sour cream.