ROMANO-CRUSTED GRILLED CHEESE
Gruyere cheese, jam and arugula are three of our favorite foods. The flavors of the 3 different kinds of cheeses come together nicely. It has a tiny bit of sweet flavor to it with the jam. Try the Food Nanny sandwich creation! It is fast, easy and delicious. ~xo
- 1 cup finely shaved (use a microplane grater) Romano cheese
- Butter for spreading
- 4 slices white sandwich bread or your favorite Artisan bread
- 2 very thin slices Gruyere cheese
- 2 very thin slices Colby/Jack cheese
- Dijon mustard for spreading
- 1/4 cup apricot Jam
- 1 cup baby arugula
- Grate the Romano cheese really fine. Butter each piece of bread on one side. Press 1/4 cup of grated cheese into the butter. (It sticks perfectly). These are the outside pieces of bread that will be grilled.
- On the opposite side of the bread, lay a thin slice of the Gruyere Cheese, then a thin slice of Colby/Jack cheese. Spread on some mustard. On the opposite piece of bread, spread on some apricot jam. Add the arugula. Bring the two pieces together to form a sandwich with the butter and cheese on the outsides. Repeat.
- Heat a pan to medium heat. Place the sandwiches in the pan and grill until the cheese is melted on the inside and the outside is golden brown. Serve immediately.
- SERVE WITH: Chips of choice, of course...we LOVE chips, and unfortunately cannot eat a sandwich without a few crunchy chips on the side.
- VARIATION: Use colby/jack shredded cheese and spread on mayonnaise and top with minced yellow onion. Butter the bread and grill. This was Grandma's version of a kicked up Grilled Cheese. Love it!!