PEPPER JACK ENCHILADAS WITH GREEN CHILE-SOUR CREAM SAUCE
This is a great green enchilada recipe.... We have been making this recipe for so many years now.. It has become a stable in our home! We like it best with pepper jack cheese, but you may use Monterey Jack for less spice. Our husbands always love us to add chicken, we love it too but sometimes we just prefer the cheese! The spinach strips add interesting texture and color to the plate and taste great with the sour cream sauce. Your friends and family will think you are a gourmet cook! Enjoy!! XOXO
- 8 corn or taco-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups (8 ounces0 shredded pepper jack cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, drained
- 1 (5-ounce) bag fresh spinach
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees for flour tortillas or 350 degrees for corn tortillas.
- If the tortillas aren't pliable enough to roll without breaking, then follow this optional step: Warm the tortillas one at a time in a small skillet over high heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and heat it just a few seconds, turning once, until it is soft and pliable. Lay out the tortillas on a cookie sheet or aluminum foil or wax paper.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of the cheese on each tortilla and roll up. Place the tortillas seam side down in a 9 x13 -inch baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan; stir in the flour. Add the broth all at once and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and bubbles. Stir in the sour cream and the chiles. Cook until the mixture starts to bubble, but do not boil. Pour the mixture over the tortillas and bake for 20 minutes for flour tortillas; 15 minutes for corn tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the enchiladas and bake just until the cheese melts, about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the spinach lengthwise with a pizza cutter or sharp knife. To serve, place one enchilada on each plate and top with extra sauce from the dish. Place a handful of spinach alongside and serve immediately.
- Serve with chips and Fresh Salsa (page 125)
- Pepper Jack Chicken Enchiladas: Cook about 1 pound of chicken, shred or cut it into bite-size pieces, and roll it into the tortillas with the cheese.