FRIED SWEET AND SOUR EGG ROLLS
We have never used an easier recipe to make homemade sweet and sour egg rolls! We absolutely love these! Everyone does. They are so easy and fast to make! Sometimes you just can't beat homemade:)
We used miniature wraps in this photo we bought at the Asian market! Everything tastes better miniature sometimes!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Egg Rolls:
- 1 1lb package egg roll wraps (a thin square sheet of dough in the vegetable section at grocery store)
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- coarse salt
- ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 14oz. bags coleslaw (produce section of store...shredded cabbage and carrots combined)
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- sunflower oil or canola oil for frying
- Prepare the sauce first:
- In a small saucepan mix the sugar and corn starch. Add the vinegar,water, pineapple juice, and soy sauce. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium high heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Cover to keep warm.
- Prepare the Egg Rolls:
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Saute diced chicken and minced onion until chicken is cooked and the onion is tender.
- Season with coarse salt and ground black pepper to taste. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 min. Add 2 bags of coleslaw, teriyaki sauce and soy sauce. Mix all together. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 min. Drain off and discard most of the juice through a strainer. Let the filling cool down a bit.
- One at a time put 3 Tablespoons mixture onto each wrap. Roll as directed on the package. Lay on wax paper or foil until ready to fry.
- Add 1/4 inch oil to your frying pan. Fry the rolls when the oil temperature reaches 350 degrees or fry over low to medium heat until the rolls are light brown.
- Lay on paper towels to remove excess oil. Place on platter. Serve immediately with warm sauce.