I have several different cornbreads in my cookbooks...they each have a little different taste and texture to them. This recipe is sweeter and "cakier" than my Buttermilk Corn Bread- and amazingly good, especially served with butter and honey! It's almost like eating dessert with your meal. Sometimes, the kids like to eat it for breakfast (warmed up quickly) before they run out the door to school. It's one of those recipes where people won't leave you alone until you "hand over" the recipe! Now that the Fall season is rapidly approaching...you will want to make this soon! Warm up your oven- it only takes a few minutes to whip this together and bake for about 30 minutes. Mmmmm...delicious!! xoxo
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Butter and honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal,baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs, oil, and butter and mix well. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes. The corn bread is done when the edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.