CARAMELIZED SWEET POTATOES
These Caramelized Sweet Potatoes are a beautiful side to the Thanksgiving meal. We have friends and relatives that insist they do not like sweet potatoes or yams, but they LOVE this particular recipe!
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar (you can use less..)
- Walnut halves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and cut off the tips. Bake for 1 hour or until soft in the center when poked with a fork. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and cut in half lengthwise and then into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lay the slices in an oblong baking dish, overlapping slightly as needed.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Let the mixture thicken slightly. Remove the pan from the heat and add the powdered sugar; whisk until smooth.
- Spread the sugar mixture over the sweet potatoes. Place a walnut half on each slice. Bake until bubbly and slightly browned, about 20 minutes.
For color interest, use both sweet potatoes and yams and place them alternately in the pan. The mix of yellow sweet potato slices and orange yams slices, each topped with a walnut half, makes a beautiful dish that is so appropriate for autumn! You will also be surprised to watch this dish disappear quickly...The caramel that forms on top is divine! You HAVE to try it!