I love popcorn in generally.. but when it comes to this time for year I CRAVE this caramel popcorn. It has just the right amount of sweet and salty. I have tried many different recipes and finally over the years I have found the best of them all!! I'm thankful I only really crave it at this time of year, because it is so addicting!! If your needing a fun gift to drop off to a friend or family, this would be the perfect thing! Go get some really cute plastic bags and tie with some ribbon.. This would make anyone's day!! Prepare to to enjoy!! XOXOX
- 1 cup pecans, whole
- 1 cup raw almonds, whole
- 10-12 cups popped popcorn
- 3 sticks butter (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Measure the pecans and almonds onto the baking sheet. Roast in the oven at 300 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Pop the corn. I use my air popper. You may use any method. It takes me 2 batches of air-popped corn to get 10-12 cups popcorn. Place the popped corn and nuts in your largest bowl. Set aside.
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan over low to medium heat add the butter, sugar, corn syrup and cream of tarter. Stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture reaches 240 degrees- soft ball stage, about 10-15 minutes. Use your candy thermometer to check the temperature from time to time or leave your thermometer in the pan as you stir. Remove from heat.
- Add baking soda and vanilla- which will foam up a little. Stir. Pour the hot mixture over top the popcorn and nuts and mix thoroughly. Salt as desired.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with oil. Pour the caramel popcorn on and spread it out to cool. Store in plastic bags. Enjoy!!
- Variations: Take out the nuts.