BROCCOLI AND SWISS/CHEDDAR FRITTATA
A Frittata is like an omelet only not as difficult to make! Try it out. It is healthy and good for you. It's another great way to serve eggs with vegetables.
You can make a frittata out of just about anything you have left over in your refrigerator. Use the same amounts that are in the Food Nanny recipe only try using some of these different ingredients: asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, Feta cheese, Mozzarella cheese, ham, canadian bacon, bacon, pancetta, prosciutto. Use your imagination...
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 yellow onion, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli, no stem, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 7 eggs
- 3 Tablespoons grated Swiss cheese
- 3 Tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 3 thin slices fresh tomato
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- In an 8-inch nonstick/oven proof skillet or cast iron pan melt the unsalted butter over low heat. Add minced onion. Saute until soft about 4 minutes. Add chopped broccoli and continue to saute for another 5 min or until tender.
- In a medium size bowl whisk the eggs together and season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat up to medium. Pour the eggs over the onions and broccoli. Sprinkle on the grated swiss and cheddar cheese.
- Cook without stirring until eggs are set on bottom and beginning to set on top- about 6 minutes. Lay the tomato slices on top and sprinkle with salt.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and broil about 5 inches from the heating element until the eggs are set on top and beginning to brown, 3-4 minutes. Remove from the broiler and cut into wedges to serve. Serve hot or at room temp.
- SERVE WITH: bacon or ham and toast. enjoy!