Artisan Beer Bread
Artisan Beer Bread... My love of bread began when I was a very young girl thanks to my Mom and all the amazing homemade breads she had coming out of the oven almost daily! But the real love affair started when I was a young teen.
My parents took the family to Europe for the first time and I will NEVER forget walking the streets of Paris and stopping to get fresh bread and cheese just to snack on! It was my FAVORITE thing!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven!
I won’t forget the first time my Mom made this artisan bread at home! It came out of the oven and it was so beautiful I couldn’t believe my Mom had made it! It looked like it was from a bakery! It tasted a million times better than anything we could buy at the store (well at least here in the US). She had her homemade raspberry and strawberry butter to serve with it and I am telling you……I thought I was in France!
I now make this SIMPLE and easy recipe all the time. When I take it to friends and neighbors no one believes that I made it! The Food Nanny is the ultimate bread maker and she does not disappoint with this recipe!
Thanks Mom for creating something this yummy for us to make at home!! Make it for yourself! The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner, Again, Pg. 247. XO,Emaly
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast, or instant yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 3/4 cup warm water(105-115 degrees)
- 3/4 cup beer or (non-alcoholic beer) at room temperature. (3/4 cup equals about 6 oz. beer)
- Pizza Stone, Tiles, Baking sheet, or 6 to 8 quart cast iron, enamel with lid.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together flour, yeast and salt. Add water and beer and mix together with a wooden spoon. Spray plastic wrap with cooking oil and place over bowl. Let the dough sit at room temperature 8 hours. The longer the rise the more dense the bread. You can let it rise as much as 18 hours.
- Flour a work surface with 2 Tablespoons flour and pour dough out onto it. Fold it over a couple of times. Sprinkle the top with about a Tablespoon of flour.
- Roll off a sheet of plastic wrap 2 feel long. Lay it on the counter. Spray the entire plastic with cooking oil. Sprinkle the middle of the plastic with 2 Tablespoons flour. Place the dough on top of the plastic gently, and quickly fold the sides of the plastic over the dough, one side at a time.
- Turn the oven to 450 degrees (If using a pot, put it in the oven, with the lid, and let it get hot. Let dough rise at least 30 minutes. while the oven is heating.
- Gently lift the bread over to the oven and drop it from the plastic, upside down onto a pizza stone, tiles, oiled baking sheet or in a hot pot on the lowest rack in the oven. (If using pot, cover with lid, bake 35 to 45 minutes. or until golden and remove the lid half way through.) Bake at 450 degrees about 20 to 25 minutes. or until golden brown. Serve warm or cool on rack.
- Serve with: Raspberry Butter or Strawberry Butter.
- Raspberry Butter
- stick butter (1 cup), softened at room temperature
- /2 cup honey
- /2 cup raspberry jam (homemade is wonderful)
- /2-1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl mix together butter, honey, jam and vanilla. Spread on bread.
- Strawberry Butter
- stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup) softened at room temperature
- Tablespoons strawberry jam ( homemade is wonderful)
- Tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a small bowl mix together butter, jam and sugar. Spread on Bread.