PEPPER JACK POTATO SOUP
OUR PEPPER JACK POTATO SOUP MAY BE OUR FAVORITE SOUP IN THE WORLD! SOMETIMES WE MAKE IT WITH CREAM OR HALF-AND-HALF FOR RICHER FLAVOR (instead of the evaporated milk), BUT WE THINK YOU'LL FIND THAT THE CHEESE GIVES ALL THE RICHNESS YOU'LL LOVE.
This recipe will make about 10 cups... It is a real crowd pleaser. You can also make it meatless: Omit the bacon and use vegetable broth (although the bacon gives the soup extra flavor.) Enjoy!
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed russet potatoes (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated fat-free milk
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- Fry the bacon until crisp; drain. Crumble and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, and the green and red bell pepper; cook and stir until the onions are soft, Add the broth and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat and simmer about 20 minutes or until the carrots are cooked.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in a medium saucepan until they are just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and add to the soup with the bacon. Wipe out the pan if necessary and use it for the next step.
- Melt the butter over low heat. Add the flour and turn the heat up slightly and whisk until the mixture is bubbly. Add the milk, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Add to the soup.
- Stir in the cheese and continue to cook until the cheese melts. Do not boil. Add the white pepper, salt, and thyme. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.