Fannies Christmas Egg Nog
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks - (save the whites)
- ¼ tsp Fleur de Sel
- 4 cups milk
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp rum extract (Optional)
- Nutmeg, fresh ground or dried to taste
1. In a medium size saucepan whisk 1/3 cup sugar into the egg yolks. Add salt, stir in the milk.
2. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture coats the spoon. Take off the
stove and cool.
3. When the mixture is cool beat the egg whites in a medium size bowl with an electric mixer
until foamy then gradually add 3 Tablespoons sugar beating until soft peaks form. Add this to
the cooled custard and mix thoroughly. Add vanilla and rum if using it.
4. Pour into a large mason jar or pitcher and let chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving. (the longer
it sits in the fridge the better)
Stir the egg nog and pour into a punch bowl or into small glasses or cups. Sprinkle with nutmeg