With March MADNESS is full swing, I think it is time to share a fan favorite! You aren’t living if your not making The Food Nanny’s Sloppy JOES. It is wonderful to BBQ with friends… but if your looking to change it up try our Sloppy JOES. This dish can be made ahead of time and reheats nicely. It also can be double or tripled very easy. It is also budget friendly. This dish might just be a new favorite at your house! Pass the chips and beans! XOXOXOXOXO
The Food Nanny
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion optional
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
- Butter for buttering the buns (optional)
- Melt the 1 Tablespoon butter in a medium saucepan or skillet over medium heat and cook and stir the onion until soft. Add the meat and cook and stir until it is throughly cooked. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add the ketchup, 1/2 cup of the water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, adding more water as needed for the desired consistency.
- Butter the buns, if desired, and toast them under the broiler. Watch closely to be sure they don't burn. Spoon the meat mixture onto the bottom halves of the buns and cover with the tops. Or prepare open-face sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.