The Wedge With Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Plan Ahead: Make the dressing 3 days ahead. Cook the bacon and boil the eggs ahead, if using.
1 head Iceberg lettuce core removed rinsed and drained. Wrap in plastic and chill until ready to use.
½ cup Blue Cheese crumbles
4-5 Tablespoons buttermilk
2 Tablespoons sour cream
½ teaspoon white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
¼ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Fresh ground black pepper
¼ lb. bacon, cooked and diced (optional)
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
On a small plate mash the blue cheese crumbles and buttermilk together
- with a fork. Place the blue cheese mixture in a small bowl and add
- mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, salt and fresh
- ground black pepper to taste. Mix with the fork until smooth. Cover and
- refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Cook the bacon, drain and dice. Set aside. Boil the eggs, peel and dice.
- Set aside.
Cut the lettuce in half. Then half again. You will have 4 quarters. Cut the
- quarters in half. You will have 8 wedges. If you are making a meal out of
- this salad you will want to give each person 2 wedges. Place the wedge
- on a plate and spoon the blue cheese dressing generously over top.
- If desired, sprinkle on diced bacon and egg. Add more ground black
- pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Serve with: Liz’s Crescent Dinner Rolls page 249. French Baguettes page 242, Peasant White Bread page 237 or Beer Bread on page 247. Serve this salad along side veggies, chicken, beef or lamb.
Variation: If I am making this salad as a main meal, I add the bacon and egg. You may need to double the dressing as well. If I am serving it as a side dish I usually serve this salad without the bacon and egg.