I cooked this meal in my first season of the Food Nanny with the Parkin Family. What a great family they were. I so enjoyed being with all of them. Every single person fell in love with this dish. I love it too. I love to serve this dish with my Great Garlic bread page 237, steamed broccoli or asparagus page 215! XOXO
LINGUINE WITH LEMON SHRIMP
Serves 4 Time: 25 minutes
- 1 lb. large shrimp (about 15, peeled and deveined. Save the tails and shells.)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- Red pepper flakes (crushed, to taste)
- Shrimp shells and tails
- 1 medium yellow onion (chopped)
- 1/2 lb. linguine pasta
- 1/2 Tablespoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup pasta water (saved)
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley (chopped)
- Parmesan cheese
- Marinate the shrimp: Place the peeled shrimp in a large bowl with lemon zest and lemon juice. Add olive oil, garlic cloves, and red pepper flakes to taste. Stir. Let sit while the stock and linguini cook.
- Stock: In a small saucepan place the shrimp shells and tails. Add chopped onion and enough water to just cover the shells, tails, and onion. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 6 min. Strain and reserve stock. Set aside.
- Cook the linguine per package directions adding 1/2 Tablespoon coarse salt and olive oil, about 10 min. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Set aside.
- Put 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. The pan is ready to cook the shrimp when a small piece of bread browns quickly.
- Take the shrimp out of the marinade with tongs and shake to get most of the marinade off- but save the marinade. Place the shrimp immediately into the fry pan. Fry quickly, turning with the tongs. When the shrimp turns pink and you cannot see through it anymore the shrimp is done. This will take 1 to 2 min. depending on your heat. Remove the cooked shrimp to a bowl.
- Pour the remaining marinade into the hot fry pan. Add the pasta water and drained shrimp stock.
- Add the linguine, cooked shrimp, chopped Italian parsley and stir with tongs to mix.
- Put the shrimp and linguine in a bowl and serve. Pass fresh grated Parmesan cheese.