SPAGHETTI WITH CHEESY TOMATO CREAM SAUCE
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 small white onion (minced)
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes (undrained (see note))
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese, about 2 oz
- 20 fresh basil leaves (or)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (crushed)
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti or pasta of your choice
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook and stir the garlic and onion until you smell the aroma.
Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, cream, ricotta, basil, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper, if using. Cook over low heat until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Divide the pasta among four plates and spoon the sauce over each. Serve, passing additional cheese
Note: For a smoother sauce, puree the tomatoes first in a blender for a few seconds.
Serve with a green vegetable or a salad and your favorite Italian bread.