We love this because its a meal all by itself! No sides needed! Of course adding a little garlic bread never hurt;). It is simple and delicious and one that kids LOVE too! We love the hot sausage for a little kick, but you can use the sausage of your choice. This will be a new favorite of your families too!
PENNE WITH SAUSAGE, RED POTATOES, AND GREEN BEANS
- 8 oz uncooked penne pasta
- 4 small red potatoes (quartered)
- 8 oz low-fat spicy bulk Italian sausage (or whatever you prefer)
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 small garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb. fresh green beans (trimmed and cut in half (may use 1 14.5-oz can of cut green beans for speedy alternative))
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Romano (Asiago, or Parmesan cheese, plus additional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Steam the potatoes or cook them in boiling salted water until tender. At the same time, steam the beans (or cook in the microwave) until tender, 6 to 12 min.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is soft and the sausage is completely cooked. Pour in the broth and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in the oil and butter until the butter melts. Add the green beans, potatoes, and pasta. Mix well with a large spoon. Add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Decrease the heat to low and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the mixture. Cover the pan and cook a few more minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately in the same pot or spoon the mixture into a large, shallow serving bowl or platter. Pass the extra cheese.