COCONUT KAMUT CAKE
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cream of coconut (found by the drink mixers at most grocery stores)
- 3 cups White Kamut Flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. coconut extract
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 8 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Milk, as needed to thin frosting
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees (the cake is better when baked at a low temperature). Separate eggs; set whites aside.
- In a large bowl beat wet ingredients including egg yolks, until fluffy.
- Sift dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet using mixer on low speed and alternating with buttermilk and coconut extract.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour batter into 9- inch pans that have been lined with parchment paper or lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray. (we like to use the pam with flour)
- Bake for about 90 minutes; after about 60 minutes, insert a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean; repeat the "toothpick test" every 5-10 minutes or so until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Transfer the finished cake to a cooling rack.
- Poke each cake with a few holes, making sure not to poke all the way through; drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup cream of coconut over the cake. (this helps make the cake extra moist.)
- After the cake cools, transfer to the freezer and freeze overnight. (we like to take them out of the pans and wrap them in plastic wrap)
- Immediatley after removing the cake from the freezer, frost with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Allow cake to thaw for about an hour before serving. Sprinkle with lightly toasted shredded coconut.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and coconut extract together. Add powdered sugar, a little at a time, until reaching desired consistency. If it gets too stiff, add 1 tsp of milk at a time to thin it down. Sprinkle top with toasted coconut.
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting - 1/2 cup butter (softened), 8-oz cream cheese (softened), 1 tsp. coconut extract, 1 bag powdered sugar, Milk (as needed).
In a large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and coconut extract; add powdered sugar little by little until reaching desired consistency. If it gets too stiff, add 1 tsp. milk at a time until you get the consistency you want.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place shredded, sweetened coconut on a cookie sheet; spread it out into a single layer. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Some pieces will still be white and soft, while some will be slightly browned with a little crunch.