CHINESE SUNDAES KIDS WILL LOVE
- 1 cup uncooked calrose rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound grilled or broiled boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Coarse salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 (5-ounce) ready-to-eat chow mein noodles
- 2 celery ribs (diced)
- 1/2 cup slivered or chopped raw almonds
- 1 (20-ounce) pineapple tidbits (drained)
- 2 (11-ounce) mandarin oranges, drained, or fresh orange segments
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 (6-ounce) jar maraschino cherries (drained)
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
1. Cook the rice according to package directions, adding the 1/4 teaspoon salt to the boiling water. Keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, grill or broil the chicken breasts, 6 to 8 minutes per side until no longer pink. Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cut into bite-size pieces. Keep warm.
3. Place the noodles, celery, almonds, pineapple, oranges, coconut, and cherries in individual serving bowls.
4. To make the sauce, mix the soup, sour cream and milk in a small saucepan. Stir occasionally over medium heat until heated through. Transfer to a bowl.
5. Set up as a buffet or pass the ingredients for everyone to make their “sundaes” on dinner plates or in large bowls. Start with the a bed of chow mein noodles and add rice, chicken, celery, pineapple, oranges, coconut, and almonds. Drizzle sauce over all and top with a cherry!
Note: Calrose rice is available in
the Asian foods section of many
supermarkets, or you may substitute
any short- to medium-grain rice.