Plan Ahead: Prepare the chicken ahead of time and save a few minutes.
½ pound spaghetti, cooked
2 teaspoons salt
4 small boneless/skinless chicken breasts, flattened
1 egg, beaten
1 cup homemade bread crumbs using 2 pieces of white sandwich bread
½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1¾ cups homemade marinara or store bought spaghetti sauce, without meat
½ cup pasta water, or more
½ cup Mozzarella cheese, grated
1 Tablespoon fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
Boil 5 quarts of water in a large pot. Add 2
- teaspoons salt and spaghetti. Cook about 10
- min. or until tender. Drain. Set aside. Save ½
- cup pasta water plus extra if needed.
Wipe off the chicken with a wet paper towel.
- Using the palm of your hand, flatten the chicken
- to even thickness or use a mallet and put
- chicken between 2 pieces of plastic to flatten
- to about ½ inch thick.
Beat the egg in a shallow dish. In a food
- processor or blender process the bread until
- crumbs. Place in a shallow dish and stir in the
- Italian seasoning. Dip chicken into egg, then
- in crumbs to coat.
In a large fry pan over medium heat, melt the
- butter. Brown the chicken on both sides.
- Add the spaghetti sauce and ½ cup pasta water.
- Reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer for
- 10 min. Sprinkle both cheeses on top. Cover
- and simmer again for 5 min. or until the cheese
- melts. If sauce is too thick, add more pasta
- water. Serve over drained hot spaghetti.