BRUSCHETTA WITH ROASTED GARLIC
- 1 whole garlic pod (roasted olive oil)
- Coarse salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small red tomato (diced)
- 1 small yellow tomato (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- 3 Tablespoon pecans (minced)
- 6 slices Italian bread (¼ inch thick)
1. Peel the dry skin off the garlic pod. Slice off the top of the garlic, to expose each clove. Place in a shallow baking pan. Drizzle the top of each clove with olive oil. Lightly salt and pepper. Cover with foil and roast at 400° about 30 to 40 min. When done the clove will feel soft when squeezed.
2. In a small bowl mix together the tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon olive oil, basil, salt and pepper to taste. The tomato mixture is served at room temperature. Set aside.
3. Heat oven to 450°. Mold the goat cheese into a 3-inch round. Coat goat cheese on all sides with pecans. Place on a foil-lined shallow baking pan. Drizzle cheese lightly with olive oil. Bake until warm.
4. Drizzle both sides of the bread slices generously with olive oil, coarse salt, and fresh ground black pepper. Place on a separate baking sheet and place in a 450° oven. Bake, flipping once until both sides are toasted light-brown.
5. To serve - use a platter and place the garlic on one side. Put the tomato mixture into a small cup and place by the garlic. Place the cheese next to the bread. Serve while the garlic, cheese and bread are warm.
6. Each person creates his/her own bruschetta by spreading the warm garlic on the bread. Then the warm cheese. Top with the tomato basil mixture. Enjoy!
Variation: If you don’t care for goat cheese, try using ricotta cheese. If you
want to make this meal an event, use a table top grill and grill the bread
over hot coals right on the table.