Finally a true stir-fry! When Katie was living in Bangkok her cook, Sue Nan, taught us how to make this wonderful stir-fry that takes just minutes to prepare. It is so delicious and so healthy. I hope you will all enjoy this special stir-fry. This is real comfort food when you are hungry for veggies and rice.
- 1 Large carrot, peeled, cut in rounds ½ inch thick, then cut in half
- 1 Small head broccoli, each flower bud cut into 3-4 small pieces, no stems
- 1 Small head cauliflower, each flower bud cut into 3-4 small pieces, no stems
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 Large cloves garlic, minced
- 12 Fresh snap peas, snap tops and pull string along both sides, snap bottom, discard
- 7 Small white button mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 Heaping teaspoon oyster sauce (found in Asian food section of your grocery)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce (found in Asian food section of your grocery)
- 1/8 tsp gray French Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 Cups jasmine Rice, cooked
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast (optional)
- If using chicken breasts: Cut the breast into strips ½ inch wide, then cut strips into ½ inch cubes. Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce, mix together, and set-aside until ready to stir-fry.
In a saucepan, bring 3 cups water to boil. Add carrots, and boil 2 min. Add broccoli and cauliflower together. Boil 4 min.
Pour vegetables into a colander and rinse with cold water. The vegetables will still be a bit crunchy. Set aside.
Using an electric skillet (set at 350°), wok, or frying pan, heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil. (Tip: You will know when your oil is hot enough if you drop in a small piece of bread and it fries quickly to a light brown color.)
Add minced garlic, stirring until it is light brown in color. (If adding chicken, do it now and cook chicken cubes until light brown.) Add carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower in skillet, stir and cover with lid. Cook 1 min.
Add peas and mushrooms. Stir. Cover and cook 1 min. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, and salt. Stir. Replace lid. Cook for 30 seconds.
Add sugar. If adding bean sprouts, add them now. Stir and cover. Cook 1 min.
Remove from heat and serve immediately with Jasmine Rice.
Variation: Add 1/2 pound, cleaned and deveined, small shrimp with the bean sprouts at the very end. You can also substitute pork in place of the chicken.